Last year I submitted a proposal for a session to the Alberta Library Conference organizers. I had a flash of inspiration and submitted it on a bit of a whim, not really thinking it would be accepted.
I got a pleasant surprise- my conference session proposal was accepted! So I will be traveling to Jasper at the end of this month with my lovely manager to attend my first library conference (and to present there!)
I’ve been around Alberta a bit, and I’ve been to gorgeous Jasper and Banff a couple of times on road trips, but I, as well as my manager, naively assumed that we could fly to Jasper for this trip instead. (Wrong-o!). So, we’re going to do the whole trip in our library vehicle. This will be the first time I am traveling so far for work. It’s cool!
My conference session is called There’s a Graphic Novel For Everyone (Yes, Even You!). It covers topics such as
- What is meant by “graphic novel” and how that name relates to additional terms like comic, web-comic, manga, etc.
- The importance of realizing that graphic novels are a format, not a genre, and can be on any topic or theme!
- Graphic novel readers advisory for specific topics and genres, like non-fiction, biography, reluctant readers, award winners, focus on diversity, LGBTQ+, Indigenous and more
- In-depth exploration of some Graphic Novel excerpts
- Reflections for library staff and teachers
- Resource links and title lists
My session is 1 hour long so I am going to have to keep an eye on time, as I have tons to share on this topic.
I am extremely excited for this conference, even though public speaking is not in my comfort zone. I have been preparing for this conference for several months and this is the first time in my life that I am actually EXCITED to stand in front of a group of strangers and talk. Passion is am excellent motivator!
Here is a sneak peek of the mascot (?) I made for the session. This picture is from the session called “Get To Know Graphic Novels!”